Our purpose covers four broad areas, outlined below:
Education and Extension
- Provide agricultural extension services to the next generation of farmers and enable consumers to make informed food choices.
- Facilitate the peer-to-peer sharing of skills, research and knowledge amongst producers
- Pursue broader research and development projects in partnership with allied organisations to support the long-term viability of our agriculture and food production industry
- Empower consumers with awareness and experience of the processes, practices and culture embedded in our local food system
- Encourage more Victorian food buyers to purchase healthy, sustainable food with intent and support farmers they have met, whose practices align with their values.
- Multiply viable career opportunities for passionate food professionals.
- Confidently promote farming is a sensational way of life and viable, fulfilling career choice.
- Develop a local apprenticeship program that integrates work experience with vocational training to create opportunities for our young people, across the entire food system.
- Advocate fair terms of trade for farmers by educating consumers, diversifying the supply chain and fostering high-value niche production.
- Proactively position new supply chain and farming models in our community to create new business and expand existing local business capacity
- Stay the course and deliver sustainable outcomes to our community well into the future.
- Build an adaptive, innovative and profitable enterprise that creates value through trade.
- Market a strong local brand that demonstrates the integrity of our producers and our community.
- Put forward a value proposition that is directly responsive to the needs of our local growers, cookers and eaters.
- Prioritise the long-term viability of our organisation in addressing local needs.
- Create mutual benefit for our community and food system through our activities.
- Build a supportive culture that values inclusion, partnership and individual wellbeing.
- Apply the pride, passion and initiative of our community to imagining and implementing our future food system.
- Harness new technology and the web to engage with the wider Victorian, Australian and Global communities of farming and food system advocates
- Work directly with allied community organisations wherever possible and seek opportunities to actively promote the work of these groups.